Friday, March 4, 2011

Off to See the Wizards (JW & VCC) Part1

Well, today's the day!


In about an hour (Winnipeg time), I leave my hotel room and head for the music building at the University of Manitoba to meet up with the Vancouver Chamber Choir, their director Jon Washburn, two other composers I'm looking forward to meeting, and whoever else happens to be around and interested.


The VCC is "workshopping" a piece I wrote earlier this year - "i carry your heart with me" - based on e.e. cummings' poem of the same title. Which means they will read it down and pick it apart and see what's working well and what isn't really working at all - kind of a laboratory setting. Or at least that's what I think it means - I'll find out soon enough. I feel so incredibly lucky because the piece is for double choir (plus jazz trio), and it would be quite a job for me to put together an ensemble like this to explore the work. It's doubly nice because the work is intended as a series of four pieces, and I'm getting this opportunity and feedback now, before I write the other three.


Wow - it feels like Christmas. And I feel so hyper! Gotta get ready to roll.