Thursday, February 17, 2011

Today of All Days

I have laryngitis today. The full blown I-must-completely-shut-up-if-I'm-gonna-sing-on-Saturday variety. So maybe creating this blog today of all days is just a measure of the desperation of a vocalist who can't sing today even if she wanted to. And of course I want to!


Or maybe it's a brilliant alternative to finishing writing the band parts that have to be ready for dress rehearsal on Sunday. Deadline looming. Or a far more savoury choice than doing the taxes for the choir I direct. Deadline looming.


It wasn't even on today's ToDo list, but for whatever reason, today is the day for the birth of this blog. It's something I've been meaning to get around to for a long while now. I want this to be a place to explore and celebrate our human instrument from multiple angles. I want long-time singers to find it interesting, and I want new singers to find it welcoming. I want people of varying vocal styles to find a home here, because no matter what it is we choose to sing, when we sing it we put something Good out into the world that wasn't there a moment ago. And whether our personal gift for singing is immense, moderate, or nominal, when we sing we pass it on. We give of our hearts and souls, and we honour our birthright by using the instrument we have been given.


So I offer a blog on singing.


Because I really can't think of a better use for air.


And life is too short not to sing.


May your song never end.


Elise